The Alliance is one of two major political factions of the mortal races in Azeroth, its counterpart being the Horde. The Alliance was once also known as the Alliance of Lordaeron when its leadership was centered in Lordaeron. However, the Alliance was forced to move the bulk of its forces to Kalimdor and to the southern Azerothian kingdoms of Stormwind and Khaz Modan after a plague of undeath ravaged the Kingdom of Lordaeron several years ago. It has since lost many members, as well as gained new allies.
The major partners in the Alliance are:
Led by King Varian Wrynn.
- Capital is Stormwind City north of Elwynn Forest, in the subcontinent of Azeroth.
- The Kingdom of Stormwind's influence extends into the surrounding lands, including Lakeshire in the Redridge Mountains and Darkshire in Duskwood. A sizable naval fleet enables Stormwind to expand across the seas.
Led by Lady Jaina Proudmoore.
- Capital is Theramore Isle, located in Dustwallow Marsh.
- Army outposts are commonly dotted throughout the surrounding land, including the sizable Northwatch Hold.
Led by King Magni Bronzebeard.
- Capital is Ironforge, located in Dun Morogh.
- The Kingdom of Ironforge controls several settlements in Khaz Modan, including Kharanos and Thelsamar. More distant outposts such as Dun Garok and Bael Modan are the result of exploration and service to the Alliance.
Led by High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque.
- Long-time capital was Gnomeregan, located in western Dun Morogh. Temporary settlement is Tinker Town.
- Night elves
- Capital is Darnassus, located on the new (failed) World Tree of Teldrassil in Northern Kalimdor.
- Controls several larger outposts, including Feathermoon Stronghold and Astranaar.
Other influential powers are also part of the Alliance:
- The human merchant nation of Kul Tiras, located west of Khaz Modan.
- The survivors of the kingdom of Stromgarde in the Arathi Highlands, located on the site of the original capital of Strom. The kingdom declined rapidly following the Third War, losing control of much of its territory and capital city.
- A few small pockets of surviving high elves, such as those led by Ranger Lord Hawkspear at Quel'Lithien Lodge in the Eastern Plaguelands, those under Jalinde Summerdrake and her forces at Quel'Danil Lodge, and finally the ones in Theramore under Captain Darill.
- The Wildhammer clan. Capital is Aerie Peak and they are led by Falstad Wildhammer.
- The children of Cenarius, working closely with the night elves throughout Kalimdor.
- The Wintersaber Trainers in Winterspring provide their mounts to members of the Alliance who prove themselves worthy.
|Alliance: Darnassus · Gnomeregan Exiles · Ironforge · Stormwind · Wintersaber Trainers|
|Horde: Darkspear Trolls · Orgrimmar · Thunder Bluff · Undercity|
|Neutral: Argent Dawn · Bloodsail Buccaneers · Brood of Nozdormu · Cenarion Circle · Darkmoon Faire · Gelkis Clan Centaur · Hydraxian Waterlords · Magram Clan Centaur · Ravenholdt · Shen'dralar · Steamwheedle Cartel (Booty Bay · Everlook · Gadgetzan · Ratchet) · Syndicate · Thorium Brotherhood · Timbermaw Hold · Zandalar Tribe|